FUREE (Families United for Racial and Economic Equality) is looking for an experienced organizer to lead FUREE’s organizing campaigns. They seek a dedicated, passionate, experienced person who is looking to learn and grow as an organizer and leader, and who is looking for the opportunity to work in a growing organization of local and national prominence doing cutting edge racial and economic justice organizing.
FUREE's campaigns include:
-organizing against gentrification and for community-led accountable development
-building the power of young people of color to organize for change in their communities
-and a voter engagement project in low-income and working class communities of color.
FUREE is a multi-racial, women-led membership organization in Brooklyn, New York, organizing to build a strong base to ensure that all peoples’ work is valued and everyone has the right and economic means to decide and live out their own destinies.
1). Membership Recruitment and Leadership Development: FUREE believes that members should lead the organization, and should be given training and support in order to do the best possible work. The Lead Organizer will work with staff and members to implement systems for membership recruitment and retention, identify potential and emerging leaders from membership, and create leadership development programs and plans for current and potential leaders. They will also be responsible for recruiting members and developing leaders.
2). Campaign Strategy, Research and Development: Work with staff organizers and campaign organizing committees to plan short and long term campaign goals. Develop and support organizers’ and member-leaders’ roles in conducting research, organizing direct actions, and coordinating media work.
3). Staff Development & Supervision: Supervise organizers on strategic campaigns and organizational activities and build their capacity and skills as organizers. Additionally, the Lead Organizer will work to build FUREE’s capacity to sustain long-term growth in members and leaders.
4). Strategic Ally Work: Strengthen current and introduce new collaborations with ally organizations and individuals to increase ability to build power for members and to build a broader racial and economic justice movement.
5). Political Education: Work with FUREE staff and leaders to build and integrate a deeper political vision into on-the-ground organizing and to educate members about the political context of FUREE’s campaigns.
6). Organizational Sustainability: Work with the Executive Director and development staff to strengthen current and introduce new individual and institutional funding partners to support FUREE’s work.
· 4 or more years of strong community or labor organizing experience, preferably with low-income communities, with demonstrated capacity to effectively carry out the above responsibilities
· 3 or more years of strong experience supervising and training community or labor organizers
· A well developed personal framework to social justice and a strong commitment racial and economic justice as well as to FUREE's mission
· Ability to communicate, motivate and listen
· Experience with fundraising including grant writing, reporting and grassroots fundraising
· Strong writing skills
· Ability to work evenings/weekends as necessary
· Computer literate particularly Microsoft Office and data basing applications
· Bilingual English/Spanish speaking (written and verbal skills)
· Women of color, immigrants, differently-abled, and people of color from low-income New York neighborhoods are strongly encouraged to apply
. FUREE is a positive and inclusive women-led, supportive work environment
. Competitive salary DOE & full benefits.
Great opportunities for growth, development and leadership.
To respond: Send resume, cover letter and 1 personal and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to 81 Willoughby Street #701, Brooklyn, NY 11201. Please type “Lead Organizer Search” in the subject heading. In your cover letter, specify why you are interested in this particular job with FUREE.