The New York City Department of Education announced today the enrollment dates for families of children who will begin kindergarten in September 2011. Families should apply in person between January 10 and March 4 at their zoned school. Families may also apply to any other schools which their children are eligible to attend. Schools will notify families about assignment offers beginning March 21. To accept an offer, families must visit the school that made the offer between March 28 and April 15 and pre-register their children.
To begin Kindergarten in September, eligible children must have been born in 2006 and be residents of New York City. Families must show the following documentation when they apply to a school:
- Proof of residence. This consists of any two of the following documents:
- A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident's name and dated within the last 60 days;
- Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency indicating the resident's name and address and dated within the last 60 days;
- An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence;
- A current property tax bill for the residence;
- A water bill for the residence dated within the last 60 days;
- Official payroll documentation from an employer dated within the last 60 days, such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer's letterhead will not be accepted);
- Child’s birth certificate or passport;
- Child’s immunization records;
- Names of any siblings who will be enrolled in grades 1-5 at the school in 2010-2011
Zoned schools will give priority to students who live in that zone. Families can visit the Department’s Web site at www.nyc.gov/schools or call 311 to locate their zoned school.