Tuesday, August 30, 2011
NYC-DOE OPEN REGISTRATION CENTERS FOR NEW STUDENTS
The New York City Department of Education today announced that it will open 12 Student Registration Centers on Wednesday, August 31, to enroll new students for the opening of school. Procedures vary across the following categories of students:
• All new high school students or those re-entering the system after an absence—both general education and special education— should register at a Student Registration Center in their borough of residence.
• New or re-entering general education elementary and middle school students without a zoned school should also register at a Student Registration Center in their borough of residence.
• New elementary and middle school students who have zoned schools should register at their zoned schools starting Thursday, September 8.
• New elementary or middle school students who require special education placements should register at Special Education Enrollment Sites assigned to their districts of residence.
Parents can find their children’s zoned schools, the nearest Student Registration Centers, or Special Education Enrollment Sites by calling 311 or visiting the Department’s Web site at schools.nyc.gov. Enrollment staff at Student Registration Centers will meet with students and their parents to facilitate registration. Interpretation services will be available at each center. All forms and parent materials will be available in English and translated into nine languages (Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu).
Beginning Wednesday, August 31, through Friday, September 16, the Student Registration Centers will be open five days a week from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The centers will be closed on Monday, September 5, for Labor Day.
Parents must bring their children with them to register. In addition, the following documents are required:
• Proof of residence;
• Child’s birth certificate or passport;
• Child’s immunization records;
• Child's latest report card/transcript (if available);
• Child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available).
Brooklyn Student Registration Centers:
The Montauk - 4200 16th Avenue
Brooklyn Technical High School - 29 Fort Greene Place (Basement)
Brooklyn High School of the Arts - 345 Dean Street
Clara Barton High School - 901 Classon Avenue
Brooklyn Special Education Enrollment Sites:
Districts 17, 18, 22 - 5619 Flatlands Avenue
Districts 20, 21 - 415 89th Street, 5th floor
Districts 13, 14, 15, 16 - 131 Livingston Street
Districts 19, 23, 32 - 1665 St. Marks Avenue